Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mac-Week4-Reading Response-What's the essence?


“ Besides, I know full weel that every time I step onto a podium, I take a risk that thins won’t turn out exactly as I anticipate them in my ear-bu then, there is no great music-making without such risk taking.” (p.144)
The art of possibility by Zander & Zander

When I read Mr. Zander’s story, I always get fascinated by his wisdom.
In chapter 10, he basically is saying that even in a situation of totally someone else’s fault, what is the point of dividing of right and wrong? It only divides “you” and “me” and gives me the feeling of satisfaction of being the right one.
I also really appreciate his sharing of a story with Cora. Mr. Zander sincerely explained how he struggled and came to the conclusion of restoring the relationship with Cora.

This was a perfect time for me to read this chapter because I had a very similar situation with my boss this week. To make a long story, I felt completely insulted by her and I refused to talk to her after that. It has been three days that I haven’t been to the department office. I couldn’t believe how she treated me with such a small matter. But last night, I decided to accept the fact that she is just one of us who constantly make mistakes and to forgive her. She couldn’t hold whatever I did wrong and came out with unfiltered expression. In fact, I decided to acknowledge that I did not do such a bad thing to upset her that much but to her it was upsetting that much. I failed to understand her point of view. I decided to write a letter to her this weekend to recover the relationship. I will be apologetic of not being able to understand how she would feel in those situations. I can't stand it when I have a relationship problem. I need to resolve this. The degree of being right or wrong is not important. The broken relationship is what matters. 

1 comment:

  1. It is amazingly difficult to not assign blame isn't it. Our need for a certain kind of measurable justice is very acute and hard to curb. I also found this chapter to be very inspiring and insightful with regards to relationships with others.

    ReplyDelete