Saturday, May 15, 2010

MAC-Week2-Reading Response-Reality doesn’t seem realistic.

After reading “Art of Possibility” by Rosamund S. Zander & Benjamin Zander

Student work by Yunkyoung Park


My mother is 55 years old and she started learning how to use computer three years ago. At first, I was willing to help her out. As days went by, she has struggled with computer concept so much that I got annoyed by her clueless questions. I had to repeat over and over the same thing everyday. I thought why she even bothered learning it when she had other things to worry. She said she didn’t want to be left behind of current trend. She wanted to learn and move forward with the rest of the world, she said. She was very determined and committed her time to learn computer. Now, she is still having a hard time but she can attach files, email her friends, download pictures to make her own documents, and surf the web to find information she needs for her work.
After reading about Mr. Zander’s visit to Jewish home for elderly, I would like to compliment how wise Mr. Zander is. The way he reacted to people in situations without taking things personally challenges me as a teacher and a person in general. His sincere and open mind unlocked the most hardened hearts in the least hopeful places. Sarah, a 83-year-old lady, was not even close to the oldest person in the center, seemed not enthusiastic about her own life and reluctant to change anything in her life. Even her regular seat in the speech hall never changes. When Mr. Zander offered a new seat for a new change, she said “Are you crazy? I am 83 years old” and she moved. She moved because she wanted change, any kind of change. She would have not bother even come to the speech if she did not want to change. The age number 83 struck her down to be hopeless but in side of her there were longing for hope and new challenges. The oldest person in the center was over 100. That means that Sarah has more than 20 years to live. Why can’t 83 year old person hopes for the future? Mr. Zander himself wasn’t sure until he visited the center that there were passion and hope in elderly people. Elderly people were touched by Mr. Zander’s sincere effort to come and share his stories of hopeful life.
            Maybe I give up too early, I thought. I decide on possibilities of things as it appear realistic to me. However, I am wrong. I cannot decide the future. Every living person, no matter their age or talent, has desire to dream and potential to make that dream come true. What am I to decide what will happen tomorrow? What am I seeing in people? The reality I see is past and present but the reality is ongoing that I cannot see today. 

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful and thoughtful posting Soyeon. I am 52 years old and your classmate here. Because I am close to your mother’s age, I thought I would respond and talk to you about the questions that you posed. You wonder about people having dreams and goals for the future and why an 83-year-old person cannot. I can honestly tell you that I still have many dreams and goals for the future, but some people my age do not. There are so many disappointments and losses in life that some people seem to just go down into hopelessness about their dreams. Or if you look around at people that you know, you may see that some only dream of having a spouse and children and a good job. When they attain that, they have attained their dreams. You and I are artists. Change is what we do. We are not only familiar with it, we are in love with it. Don’t worry. When you are 52 like me or even 83 or 99, you will probably still be dreaming and working on new goals and aspirations, just as I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Soyeon, hang in their with your mother. I, too, am a classmate and 50 years old. My mother is 70 and is learning the computer. I getting her addicted to Farmville. I still have to talk her through things like opening attachments, but she is getting much better. Some people let their age define them. As such, maybe they dismiss their dreams or goals. There are still lots of things I want to learn and do. Change is hard, but it seems it is derived from fear. That is something that is not only felt by old people. Many of our students dig their heels in and resist change when we bring it to the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've been tech support for my mom for many,many years and since moving out to East Coast it's been frustrating because she does need support. Frustrating. Part of the thing is that she uses her computer so frequently enough to never get very good at it... ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother is getting better everyday and I am impressed by her commitment. Her improvement is just very slow. But I admire her patience and determination. I admire your ongoing passion. Just like Kerry said, I as an artist always seek changes and challenges that will continue till I die. Thank you for your comments.

    ReplyDelete