Sunday, October 11, 2009

BP6-2009102-Web 2.0-eChalk

eChalk
Click here to visit.




eChalk.com is the website company for schools. Once a school opens up an account in eChalk, every student, faculty and teacher is registered by their firstname.lasname@schoolname.org. They much activate the account once. Each class and group will receive a group page and list of members or students are listed by the administrator of the website. Student information is automatically in my class page.



This page displays school calendar, directory, department information, faculty information, and more. Parents can access to see students' absentees, and grades. Each class shows assignments, announcements, resources posted on the class calendar and class section page. Teachers can post their lessons, assignments, videos and links and the space is unlimited. Because email account is students' name in a certain format (first.last name@school.org), teachers don't have to ask students' email address. This also has a discussion section for each group pages.
It also has a survey tools which I just found last week which I want to use for my AR.

There are two disadvantages.
One is that school pays approximately $1 for a user.
Two, when I open attached documents, it is inconvenient because you have to open pop ups to retrieve the files. Also,  I wish this provides students personal pages or blogs.
Overall, it is definitely worth for its price because it has almost anything a teacher needs and it is secure school online environment.

3 comments:

  1. I often check out other school web sites. I think it is really important for school websites to be clear to navigate and overall user friendly. I often struggle with my own school's format and because of that don't participate in building the site as much as if I preferred the format. eChalk seems very simple. I really like the security of this tool but the cost is a bit much. Is the cost an annual fee or a one time cost per member?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is an annual fee and our principal strongly encourage teachers, students and parents to use this actively. He is the one who is willing to pay for the whole school community and I think it is worth it. So far, it seems like a good deal especially with unlimited space.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I would love to hear how this works out for you in the long term!

    ReplyDelete